Monday, December 9, 2013

Day: 42


Okay so things have been put into a whole new perspective! We had fed Elsie around 3:30pm and gave insulin etc for it. But she was hungry about two hours later. We had thought we couldn’t give insulin for 3-4 hours after it was given last. So we called our diabetic educator to get some help. But we didn’t hear back right away so we just did what we thought we were supposed to do. WELL she called us about 30 mins after we gave her insulin 3.5 hours after we gave it to her before, well she manages to tell us that we should only correct her sugar if it has been between 3.5 and 4.5 hours since we last corrected blood sugar! HOWEVER we are supposed to give insulin for carbs EVERY TIME she eats something! This means that she doesn’t need to necessarily eat three set meals a day. ANYTIME she eats food we count carbs and if its not enough to cover for (at least .35 units) then we fix it next time we correct her sugar.

I am sure I’ve lost everyone at this point. However this makes so much sense to me and Kenz. This news was so liberating! This seriously opens up so many more opportunities. I can seriously regulate this blood sugar knowing this! I cannot believe we were not told this before now. This is ridiculous! I cannot believe that this AMAZING piece of information was allowed to slip through the cracks! This is how I now know how to be a pancreas! I am pissed that we didn’t know this until then. I cannot wait for tomorrow!!  Its going to be awesome! December 18th we are going to have another appointment with Dr. Riggs. I called Noreen today to let her know we’d like to talk about pumps with him. She was all for it! Having an insulin pump will seriously make our lives SO much better! I cannot wait for the moment!

So Kenz and I have still been talking about having baby #2 even with all this drama! Its always been something that we want for our family and even with a 5% chance of baby number two having diabetes but it isn’t like diabetes is a good reason to not have another kid. Lots of people have multiple kids and a lot of them have kids that are diabetic and some that aren’t. BUT the more we talk about it the more stressed Kenz gets and me too. I tell Kenz how important it is to plan plan plan because of the fact that if I have to have another c-section I WILL need help! I will NOT be able to pick Elsie up for a least a week without risking some complications. I do not intend on an c-section at all but I have to plan this pregnancy with that being a factor. I explained that we need to conceive in either February or March so that baby would be born on or around McKenzie’s shut down for thanksgiving or Christmas. If we do not try in the spring then I explained that trying in October would be our best bet so that baby would be born around July shut down – and Elsie’s birthday and which is why I would like to try this spring.

BUT I get scared thinking about it. I can handle a pregnancy no problem but every time I think about getting pregnant I am so excited and nervous at the same time. I get nervous because I am so much more educated this time around and I know what I went through the first time is something I am going to do EVERYTHING to avoid next time around. No induction, no pitocin, no epidural!! This is possible to be done without these interventions and I trust my body and I know that I will birth a baby out of my vagina!! Sorry if that’s TMI. Anyways I think that my fear comes from not knowing what to expect and its all scary this will be like a first time labor/birth for me so its all new scary but exciting at the same time!!

Christmas is right around the corner and with this new idea of what insulin is really used for its going to be a much better holiday!! Happy happy happy!! Take care everyone!!

Til Later,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment